Premier Academy Preschool and Pre-K Education
Is my child ready for school?
The most common question parents of preschool and pre-k kids ask of teachers, “What does my child need to know to go to school?” and “Is my child ready for Kindergarten?” Rest assured you are not alone. Research shows that children who attend high-quality childcare programs and are allowed to be active learners and most importantly, get to PLAY are well-prepared for school.
We help prepare your child for school.
School readiness is about more than what children know. Kindergarten teachers describe successful children as being: healthy, rested, and well fed, able to pay attention, follow directions and communicate their thoughts and needs without being disruptive, curious and enthusiastic about new activities, confident, cooperative, and able to practice age-appropriate self-control.
- getting along with others (parents, teachers, and peers)
- following directions
- identifying and regulating one’s emotions and behavior
- thinking of appropriate solutions to conflict
- persisting on task
- engaging in social conversation and cooperative play
- correctly interpreting other’s behavior and emotions
- feeling good about oneself and others
There are many things parents and teachers can do to help children be successful in school and in life: Promote good healthy habits by making sure children
- Follow a routine which includes a balanced diet and plenty of activity and rest
- Encourage social and emotional well-being by giving children chances to:
- Take care of own needs, such as dressing and toileting
- Play with others, learning to share and cooperate
- Express emotions in safe ways, learning to regulate own behaviors and reactions
- Pay attention, make choices, and follow directions and rules
Support language and learning by giving children chances to:
- Be read to every day and talk about words you see
- Practice drawing, writing, and recognizing numbers, shapes, colors, letters, sounds and their own name
- Work on a task until it’s done, with support as needed
- Play! Children learn best when they’re having fun, so use games, toys, natural events and routines to teach, rather than using flashcards and worksheets.
Spanish lessons for Preschool and Pre-K students:
Children acquire language very quickly in their Pre-K years and now is the ideal time to teach your child a second language. Studies have shown that when children acquire a second language alongside the acquisition of their native tongue they will become proficient in both much quicker. Our Spanish Language Program is developed with an eye toward introducing children of preschool age to the Spanish vocabulary they will likely encounter in their daily lives in our bilingual country. Children will acquire Spanish through creative play, games, crafts and teacher-led lessons, all of which give your children the opportunities they need to practice their newly acquired language. Each month, a new topic is introduced to the class; including family, holidays, and the parts of the body, and the children will learn vocabulary associated with each topic. Students will create their own book of favorites as well. Our goal is to ignite an interest in learning Spanish, a skill that could open doors for them down the road.
For more information about our Pre-K childcare program in Omaha and Elkhorn, contact Premier Academy today!