Bringing home a new baby is an exciting event for any family. Preparing your home for a new baby is the first step in creating a safe environment for them to grow and learn.
There are a range of safety products on the market that can make parent’s life easier. However, there are also some simple and traditional safety practices that will keep your infant out of harm’s way.
Here are some tips for preparing your home for a new baby:
- Add safety latches on all drawers and cabinets in kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms, and storage areas.
- Check all electrical cords and remove any that dangle or hang down.
- Cover all electrical outlets with spring loaded covers that automatically close when the cord is removed.
- Roll all cords for blinds or drapes above the height that a crawling baby, toddler or infant can reach.
- Have a new crib and mattress for the baby that is designed to prevent the baby from getting hands or limbs lodged between the posts. The mattress should fit correctly and extend to the frame on all sides.
- Limit items in and around the crib and ensure any mobiles or hanging items on the crib are safe and secure and approved for use for a baby.
- Always have the correctly sized, approved car safety seat for your baby and do not travel with the baby in a vehicle when the child is not secured in the baby car seat.
- Avoid using air fresheners or air treatment products as an infant may be extremely sensitive to these products.
Most importantly, never leave your baby unattended unless they are in a secure location such as their crib. This will ensure that they can’t get into anything dangerous if you step away for a minute.
At Premier Academy, the safety of your children comes first. We offer affordable childcare in the Omaha & Elkhorn area, visit us at premieracademyinc.com.